Minocqua was officially organized in the year 1889. While explanations vary regarding the meaning of the name "Minocqua", the most credible seems to be "noon day rest" and is attributed to the Island's earlier inhabitants, the Ojibwe Indians. The Ojibwe people have worked to keep their heritage alive and remain an integral part of area culture.
In the late 1800's, Minocqua was a logging town and also saw many French fur traders. The first white child born in town was named Minocqua Clawson. Clawson Hill was a famous landmark in town and is the current location of the Pointe Resort & Hotel at the south end of the Highway 51 bridge.
The railroad was a critical component of Minocqua's early growth. The Milwaukee Road railroad company originally came to the area to access timber. Later, railroads catered primarily to sportsmen and tourists, transforming Minocqua into the vacation getaway haven it remains to this day. The two railroad trestles that brought trains to the Island are still intact today and serve as the trailhead for the Bearskin State Trail (hiking and biking in summer, snowmobiling in winter).
Much of the town's business district was wiped out by a major fire in 1912. Many of the buildings on our main street today are those built after the fire.
Like many main streets, the main street of Minocqua had a store for every need. Even into the 1970's Minocqua's main street contained three grocery stores, a fruit market, two car dealerships, a gas station, a bank, a dentist, a newspaper, two hardware stores, two pharmacies, a cafe, a candy store, a shoe shop and a few clothing stores. While the last several decades have brought a higher percentage of visitor-oriented retail stores, our downtown still retains a U.S. Post Office, multiple banks, numerous restaurants...even an old fashioned barber shop.
The Island serves as Minocqua's civic center; you'll find the Campanile Center for the Arts (former St. Patrick Church), the Minocqua Police Department, Minocqua Fire Department and the Minocqua Community Center, which houses our town offices and newly-expanded public library.
Some of the more famous landmarks on the Island are Bosacki's Boathouse at the north end of the Highway 51 bridge (now known simply as "The Boathouse") and the Thirsty Whale, which is just down the shore from The Boathouse and built entirely over the water. Bosacki's burned to the ground in 1972; ordinarily a structure could not be rebuilt so close to--or in this case, partly over--water, but a public outcry convinced the DNR to allow it to be rebuilt where it was.
Torpy Park and its beach are also Island landmarks, along with the Belle-Isle building and the three-story Minocqua Community Center, which was originally the Minocqua Grade School and the Minocqua High School in days of yore. The Minocqua Community Center is where the town offices (third floor) and the Minocqua Public Library (first floor) are located.
There have been 30 town chairmen in the history of Minocqua. The list of early town chairmen reads like a who's-who of the early Minocqua settlers--names like John Sullivan, Frank Rogers, Pat O'Malley, Jay & Thomas Bolger, Art Dorwin, David Jenkinson, Jacob Huber, William Schlecht and Dr. Torpy. The current Town Chairman is Mark Hartzheim.